Friday, December 9, 2011

Music, Santas and Recycled Frames

I tend to hold onto framed artwork for whatever reason and while preparing for Christmas, I thought I'd create new artwork from my old for my dining room.  As I shuffled through my collection of old art, I stumbled upon these somewhat dated pieces of art with wonderfully ornate carved frames.


Notice the leopard needlepoint area rug beneath the pictures!!!

I was inspired by so many of the lovely holiday images on Graphics Fairy  and decided to incorporate backgrounds of Christmas music as well as my two vintage Santas. I copied two different sheets of music onto a textured cardstock and then transferred my Santas onto the sheet music. 



I removed the current artwork and touched up the frame's intricate detail with Antique Gold Rub 'n Buff.  If you have never used Rub 'n Buff, you have to try it!!!  Rub 'n Buff comes in 16 lustrous wax-metallic finishes that are perfect for antiquing, stenciling and other craft projects and it lasts forever.  You can literally apply it with your finger and just rub it on. 

My Santas now sit proudly in my dining room surrounded by my antique bottle brush Christmas trees.


Let me know what you think... 

Come see me at these wonderful parties.

Holiday Craft Party @ Censational Girl
Homemade Projects @ TipJunkie
Brag Monday @ The Graphics Fairy
Creative Bloggers @ Homemaker On A Dime
Made By You Monday @ Skip To My Lou
Just Something I Whipped Up @ Girl Creative
Amaze Me Monday @ Dittle Dattle
Newbie Party @ DebbieDoos
It's Creative Me Monday @ The Southern Institute
Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch
Meet Me Monday http://youaretalkingtoomuch.blogspot.com/
2011 Christmas Home Tour @ The Inspired Room
Mad Skills Party @ Mad In Crafts
Motivated Monday at Be Colorful
Making the World Cuter Monday at Making the World Cuter
More the Merrier Monday at DIY Home Sweet Home Project
Savvy Homemade Monday at Home Savvy A to Z
Tutorials and Tips Tuesday at Home Stories A to Z
Wow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style
It's A Party on Thursday at A Creative Princess
Show and Share on Thursday at Southern Lovely
Open House Party Thursday at No Minimalist Here
Remodelaholic's Anonymous at Remodelaholic
Addicts (not so) Anonymous on Friday at Addicted 2 Decorating
Inspiration Friday at At the Picket Fence
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
Potpourri Friday at 2805
Saturday Nite Special at Funky Junk Interiors
Sunday Showcase Party at Under the Table and Dreaming






36 comments:

  1. Heather I absolutely love these and if I wasn't going completely crazy at this minute I'd be making my own versions right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love these pictures of the Santas on the sheet music. I am going to try making some after the holidays. Maybe using something other than Santas then.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love it! I think me and my sister will try this out soon! A great bonding project!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the combination of Santas and music. It's just so perfect for Christmas. Thanks for sharing at this week's BFF Open House!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could you give a little more info about how you did this?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woow,,,,,,,lovley job :)
    and do not miss.....

    S
    A
    T
    U
    R
    D
    A
    Y

    S
    H
    O
    W

    O
    F
    F

    It´s fun :)
    WELCOME
    HÃ¥kan ( The Roseman)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cynthia; As far as more detail, I downloaded the sheet music from Graphics Fairy and printed it. I then downloaded the two Santas and printed them onto the music sheet prints. That's how easy this project is.
    I then put plastic gloves on and spread the Rub'n Buff with my finger onto the edges of the frames. Again,sooooo easy.
    If you have any more specific questions, I'd be more than happy to answer them. Thx for visiting....Heather

    ReplyDelete
  8. so pretty. I love your olden santas. sheet music is always so beautiful!

    megan
    craftycpa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love rub and buff and those prints are great! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love those vintage looking Santa pics, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. soooo cute and clever...love the santas and the music sheets...just perfect for the season...thanks for sharing thisclever idea...I am a new follower...phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look marvellous! (via Graphics Fairy)

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are fantastic! Things with music always get my attention and I adore those vintage Santas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! You are a Christmas crafting genius! So glad I found your project via Centsational Girl.

    Please stop by for a visit to my blog. I am currently in the midst of a Gifts to Make series.

    Be Merry and Bright!

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE this, how beautiful!! The music make such a dramatic statement. Feel free to stop over anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What wonderful festive prints. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have those exact Santa's in frames from Goodwill...love when great minds look alike! My santas are from a needlepoint pattern book...where are yours from?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mary-Sweetwater; My Santas are from Graphics Fairy...she has the greatest selection of graphics to choose from. Please send a photo of your santas and I'll post on my blog. Heather

    ReplyDelete
  19. These look so wonderful! I am your newest follower. Hope you will stop by and see me.

    Susie at Puddle Jumper Creations

    ReplyDelete
  20. I came across your blog through Roadkill Rescue and simply adore this project - thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this look. i have used music in the background for my card also. Wonderful!

    Lou @ Elle and Lou

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very nice! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  23. These turned out so nice! Amazing how three different things on their own are okay, but put them together and they are just gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. These are just lovely! The sheet music with the Santas make a perfect pairing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. these are beautiful I'd love it if you would add them to my What We Wore and Made link party over at http://raegunwear.blogspot.com/search/label/WWWMW

    ReplyDelete
  26. Right now anything with sheet music gets my attention. I love this idea, and then the GF vintage Santa really add a special touch to it. Really very lovely. Thanks for sharing over at Sunday's Best, and for sharing your creativeness.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a gorgeous recycle project!

    Thank-you so much for joining up to our Pin'Inspiration Thursday Party. You have helped to make it a real success!

    Happy follower, would love if you popped by and grabbed a button :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. What perfect works of art. I really like the Santas you chose, the look so good together.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a great job - an absolutely lovely project!
    Merry Christmas to you and yours,
    Linda at Beautiful Ideas

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great project! You're one of my top 10 picks this week, hope you can stop over and link up again this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is so intriguing. I enlarged the picture of the completed framed piece and I am still wondering how you transferred the Santas onto the cardstock. It looks like the sheet music is still showing through the Santa's beard - which is very cool. I just didn't understand how you did that. Happy that you linked this project up to BeColorful's Motivated Monday.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful idea! (I love your blog); Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautiful frames you have shown to us .Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I will be featuring this tonight at my Fall into Fall party that opens at 8pm EST. Please stop by and pick up an I've Been Featured button. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is so adorable. I love this idea. Thanks so much for sharing!

    Please share this great post by joining our linky party, What's it Wednesday this week. I hope you can join us. Have a fabulous Christmas!

    Paula
    ivyandelephants.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. these turned out so pretty! thanks for sharing with us. have a lovely week!


    Hugs,
    Lelanie

    ReplyDelete